Serves 4 as a main dish
Although traditionally cooked with fish, restaurants now serve this Parsee dish with your choice of meat, and chicken has soon become a curry house favourite. Parsee dishes are famed for their sweet and sour flavours and Patia is no different, using tamarind and jaggery to get the balance just right.
What you need…
• 2 Tablespoons oil
• 2 garlic cloves, sliced (or 1 teaspoon garlic paste)
• 600ml Base Curry Sauce
• Half a red pepper, cut into 2cm chunks
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• Small handful of coriander (chop up the stems to add to the curry and keep a few leaves aside for the garnish)
• Salt to taste
• 800g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 Tablespoon jaggery (or brown sugar)
• 1 Tablespoon tamarind sauce/chutney (or lime juice)
• 1 Tablespoon curry powder
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon paprika
Chef Akila’s Chicken Lover’s Curry Box
from Chef Akila, West Yorkshire
Includes 4 Chicken Curries and 2 slow-cooked Chicken Biryanis.
• Village Chicken Curry (640g, Serves 2)
• Goan Chicken Curry (640g, Serves 2)
• Delhi Butter Chicken (640g, Serves 2)
• Chettinad Chicken Curry (640g, Serves 2)
• Mum’s Chicken Biryani (550g, Serves 2)
• Kerala Fried Chicken Biryani (550g, Serves 2)
How to make it…
1. Heat the oil in a pan to a medium heat, add the garlic and fry for 1 minutes. While it is cooking mix the Spice Mix with a little water to form a sloppy paste.
2. Add the Spice Mix to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. It should now be thick and gloopy.
3. Add the Base Curry Sauce and pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the jaggery, tamarind and garam masala, and continue cooking until all the chicken pieces are cooked through (about 7–10 minutes).
6. Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve.
If you like this you should try our…If someone wants to taste this curry then just Parsee it to them.
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza