Makes 8-10 cakes
• 5 sweet potatoes
• 2 cups flour
• 2 cups brown sugar
• 3 tbls desiccated coconut
• 1 tbls golden raisons
• 250ml vegetable oil
1. Boil the sweet potatoes in their skin until soft. Drain, remove skin and mash.
2. Mix the mash with the flour to create a dough ball. The consistency should be fairly dry. Add more flour if it is sticky.
3. Mix the brown sugar and desiccated coconut in a bowl.
4. Lightly flour a board and using a rolling pin flatten the dough to about 3-4mm thickness.
5. Use a press or mug to cut out discs about 4cm in diameter.
6. Add a tsp of the coconut and sugar mix to the centre of each disc and fold over.
7. Use the back of a fork to crimp the cakes tight.
8. Heat the oil in a large, deep pan until a medium heat. Add the cakes and deep-fry until golden.
Crimp the cakes closed using the back of a fork and deep fry until golden.