• 2 kg of carrots (grated)
• 1/2 a tin of sweetened condensed milk
• 250g milk powder
• 300g clarified butter (ghee)
• 250g sugar
• 50g chopped almonds
• 2 tbsp cardamom powder
• 1 tbsp poppy seeds
• 2 tsp saffron threads
• 1 tsp yellow food colouring
1. Put the carrot and 2-3 tbsp of water to cook in a pressure cooker on a medium heat for 10 mins.
2. After 10 mins remove the lid and add the sugar, clarified butter (ghee), saffron and yellow food colouring.
3. Cook for 20 mins, stirring constantly, until the halwa becomes dry and consistent.
4. Add the sweetened condensed milk and continue to stir for a few more minutes.
5. Add in the milk powder. Aim for a nice firm consistency.
6. Add the remaining ingredients (almonds, cardamom powder and poppy seeds).
7. Finally give everything a good mix and leave to set on baking tray.
8. Once set cut the halwa in bite-sized chunks and serve.
• Recipe and photos courtesy of Yajnee in Mauritius.