Richard, our Durban correspondent (South Africa’s tropical coastal city is home to the Bunny Chow) has reported on a new bar snack he has invented to go with stout or ale. These Durbanites certainly like everything curried.
1. Choose your own bread. Thick cuts of semi-wholewheat are recommended.
2. Add butter and the secret ingredient, a thick onion marmalade to the bread.
3. Add a thinly chopped mild curry achar.
4. Slap them together to create a sandwich.
5. Chow* down, washing every other mouthful down with a healthy swig of stout.
* Chow is a South African word meaning ‘eat’.