Serves 2 as a snack
This simple street snack is popular in Mauritius. This is simply slices of bread dipped in batter and fried and are delicious with a fresh Coriander Chutney.
What you need…
• 10 pieces of French bread, sliced into pieces 2cm deep
• 8 Tablespoons oil (or more if needed to cover the bottom of your pan)
• 4 Tablespoons gram flour
• 2 Tablespoons self-raising flour
• 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 spring onion, chopped
• 2 drops yellow food colouring
• pinch of salt
• water as required
How to make it…
1. Mix all the ingredients for the batter and add the water bit by bit until a thick paste has formed.
2. Heat the oil to a medium-hot heat.
3. Dip the bread pieces in the batter mix, ensuring they are well covered.
4. Add the battered bread pieces to the oil, ensuring you do not crowd them, and fry until they are golden brown (about five minutes).
5. Serve with Coriander Chutney.
If you like this you should try our…Why do people think bread is lazy? … Because it’s always loafing around.
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza