Serves 4 as a main dish
Named after the pot in which it is cooked Karahi Paneer is also known as Kadhai Paneer. The wide, deep circular pot is popular for cooking all over the sub-continent but especially North India and Pakistan. A karahi masala is made by dry roasting and grinding whole, aromatic spices then adding it to a tomato and onion gravy with red peppers and cream.
What you need…
• 500g paneer, cut into chunks
• 3 Tablespoons oil
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 0.5 teaspoon ginger paste
• 500g Base Curry Sauce
• 0.5 red pepper, cut into chunks
• 0.5 teaspoon garam masala
• 3 Tablespoons cream
• 2 Tablespoons chopped coriander (to be added and mixed into the curry, but keep a couple for the garnish)
• salt to taste
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 0.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 0.5 fenugreek seeds
• 4 red, dried chillies
• 2 cardomons
• 2 cloves
How to make it…
1. Heat a pan and dry roast the ingredients for the masala until they release an aroma (about 2 minutes). Grind the ingredients and set aside.
2. Heat 1 Tablespoon ghee in pan to a low-medium heat. Add the paneer cubes and fry until they brown. This should take about 3–4 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Heat the rest of the oil in the pan to a medium heat, add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the Base Curry Sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the masala, mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Add the pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add the garam masala, mix well, then add the cream, coriander and salt and cook for 3 minutes.
8. Garnish with a few coriander leaves and serve.
If you like this you should try our…What is paneer’s favourite song? … I Did It My Way.
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza