Serves 4 as a main dish
Green in appearance and with plenty of green chillies, this South Indian dish is dryish and fiery in heat. Green Chilli Chicken is also sometimes Andhra Chilli Chicken as a nod to the heat from that neighbouring state. It’s a quick dish to make, with the chicken first marinated with the chillies, coriander, curry leaves, garlic, ginger and yoghurt, then added to a sauce of onions, tomato and mixed with spices.
What you need…
• 800g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 3 Tablespoons oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 Tablespoon tomato ketchup
• 1 green chilli, cut in half lengthways (for garnish)
• 2 Tablespoons yoghurt
• 4 green chillies, chopped
• Small bunch of coriander, chopped
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 6 curry leaves
• 0.5 teaspoon salt
Spice Mix 1
• 0.5 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
• 0.5 teaspoon dried red chillies
• 0.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
Spice Mix 2
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 0.5 turmeric powder
• 0.5 teaspoon coriander powder
How to make it…
1. Blend all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken pieces and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil to a medium heat, add the Spice Mix 1 and fry for 15 seconds. They should sizzle immediately. You can test the ghee is hot enough by adding one seed.
3. Add the onion and cook it until it softens (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the Spice Mix 2, tomato ketchup, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the chicken with the marinade and fry until the chicken is cooked (about 10–15 minutes).
6. Garnish with the sliced chilli and serve.
If you like this you should try our…What does coriander say when his spice friend knocks on his door? … “Oh it’s you, please cumin.”
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza • Ambot Tik