Serves 2 as a main dish
The classic mussels dish is the Belgian speciality of mussels cooked in a white wine sauce with shallots. This dish of Curried Mussels adds the mussels to spices and coconut milk to produce a mild curried dish.
What you need…
• 1kg mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
• 1 Tablespoon oil
• 0.5 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 0.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 1 Tablespoon curry powder
• 0.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 0.5 teaspoon garam masala
• 250ml coconut milk
• 10 curry leaves
• salt to taste
• cracked black pepper (to garnish)
• 2 spring onions, chopped (to garnish)
How to make it…
1. Fry the oil in a pan to a medium-hot heat and fry the mustard seeds and cumin seeds for 15 seconds.
2 Add the onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the curry powder, turmeric, garam masala, stir well and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Transfer the ingredients of the pan to a large saucepan (big enough to hold all the mussels) and turn the heat to medium.
6. Add the coconut milk, stir in well and heat through for 1 minute.
7. Add the curry leaves and salt, mix well and bring to a boil.
8. Add the mussels, being sure to remove any that are already open and simmer until they open (about 5-7 minutes). Discard any that do not open.
9. Garnish with cracked pepper and the spring onion, and serve in the pan as a sharing pot.
If you like this you should try our…Why is this dish the strongest on our website? … Because of all the mussels.
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza