Serves 4 as a side dish
Freshness is central to Indian food and what could be fresher than this popular salad. This Spiced Indian Mixed Salad is a popular vegetarian Indian dish that combines a host of tasty ingredients and then topped off by whole spices cooked in ghee. This colourful salad is an excellent accompaniment to all of your favourite curries.
What you need…
• 12 large, crispy lettuce leaves, ripped into smallish pieces
• 2 green chillies, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 carrot, stripped into slivers
• 12 baby red tomatoes, halved
• 0.5 red pepper, chopped
• 0.5 yellow pepper, chopped
• 1 Tablespoon ghee
• 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
• 5 curry leaves
• Juice of half a lemon
• Small handful of coriander, torn, for garnish
How you make it…
1. Mix all the first seven ingredients together in a serving bowl.
2. Heat the ghee in a pan to a medium-hot heat and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves for 15 seconds. The seeds should should sizzle immediately. You can test the ghee is hot enough by adding one seed. Allow to cool for 1 minute and pour over the salad.
3. Squeeze the lemon over the salad and garnish with the coriander.