Serves 4 as a starter
Combining flavours from both India and China this is a very hot, dry dish Indo-Chinese dish. Also known as Hakka Chinese cuisine this should be always be served fresh. Prawn Chilli Dry Fry is a popular Chinese dish but also a favourite in Indian Restaurants that serve Indo-Chinese food.
What you need…
• 1.5 Tablespoons soy sauce
• 400g prawns, peeled and deveined
• 3 Tablespoons oil
• 1 small onion, roughly chopped
• 1 green pepper
• 1–5 green chillies (to your taste), chopped
• 1.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
• 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 4 spring onions chopped, for garnish
• A few coriander leaves, chopped, for garnish
How you make it…
1. Heat oil to a medium-hot heat and add the green peppers to the pan. Stir-fry until they start to soften (about 3–4 minutes).
2. Add the onions, chillies, pepper and chilli flakes and stir fry for another 2–3 minutes. Add a tiny bit of water if needed but not too much as this is a dry dish.
3. Add the soya sauce and mix in well.
4. Add in the tomatoes and prawns and stir-fry until the prawns are cooked.
5. Garnish with spring onion and coriander and serve fresh.