Serves 4 as a starter
Jeera Chicken (chicken cooked with cumin) is a simple and quick dish to cook so it makes an ideal starter or snack. It’s a dry dish, cooked in only its own juices and a small amount of oil and water and has a lovely golden colour from the turmeric. It’s delicious when served with chutneys and a bit of salad.
What you need…
• 1 Tablespoon ghee
• 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
• 300g chicken, cut into small bite-size chunks (the chunks should be a bit smaller than the ones you use for main dishes)
• 0.5 onion sliced
• 1 Tablespoon water
• salt to taste
• 0.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 0.5 teaspoon chilli powder
How to make it…
1. Heat the ghee to a high heat. While it is heating up mix the Spice Mix with enough water to form a sloppy paste.
2. Add the cumin seeds to the pan and fry for 15 seconds. They should sizzle immediately. You can test the ghee is hot enough by adding one seed.
3. Add the Spice Mix and cook for 2 minutes. It should now be thick and gloopy.
4. Add the chicken and stir fry for five minutes, ensuring all the pieces are nicely coated in the spices. Keep stirring as it will be very dry. Add the water if needed but keep it as dry as you can.
5. Add the onion and salt and continue stir frying until the chicken is fully cooked.
6. Serve with chutneys and salad.