Serves 4 as a starter
Because the red-coloured Chicken Tikka is famous the world over its lesser-known cousin Malai Tikka often gets overlooked. But this paler tikka, marinated in cottage cheese, cream and handful of spices, is perfect for milder tastes while still providing that trademark tandoori taste. It makes a great starter to get the evening underway when you have ordered a hot, spicy main curry.
What you need…
• 400g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
• 100g cream cheese
• 200g cream
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 1 green chilli, finely chopped
• 1 Tablespoon coriander, chopped
• 0.25 cardamom powder
• 0.25 clove powder
How you make it…
1. Squeeze the lemon over the chicken, rub it in well and leave for 15 minutes. This will degrease the chicken and also helps the chicken absorb the marinade.
2. Shake off the excess lemon and coat the pieces in the marinade. Leave for at least 15 minutes but preferably 12 hours.
3. Preheat your oven to 170 ºC. Place the pieces on a baking tray, ensuring all the pieces are kept well apart and cook for 15 minutes, turning once. Check one of the largest pieces to ensure it’s cooked. If not return to the oven.
4. Serve with pickles, chutneys and salads.