Serves 2 as a side dish
Malai Sag Muttar is a popular dish all over the sub-continent but especially in North India. It is simple dish, with just a few spices added to wilted spinach, onions and peas, and a dash of cream added just before serving.
What you need…
• 100g spinach
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 0.5 chilli powder
• 0.5 garlic
• 0.5 ginger
• 0.5 fenugreek seeds
• 70g peas (frozen are good)
• salt to taste
• 1 Tablespoon cream
How you make it…
1. Wash the spinach with hot water in a colander. Drain.
2. Heat oil to a medium heat and fry the onion until it softens (about 3–4 minutes).
3. Add the chilli powder, garlic, ginger, fenugreek and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and cook for 10 minutes until it well softened and wilted.
5. Add the salt and the peas and cook until they are warmed through (about 3–4 minutes).
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the cream just before serving.