Serves 2 as a main dish
Chicken Liver Fry is a popular dish in India, especially in Goa (where it is known as Kaleji Fry), but this recipe, using only a couple of spices and a good dose of chopped chillies, is from Mauritius in the Indian Ocean
What you need…
• 3 Tablespoons oil
• 500g chicken liver, washed and cut into large chunks (it will shrink when cooking)
• 0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 0.5 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 1 teaspoon cumin powder
• 1 teaspoon tomato purée
• 3 large chillies, chopped
• 1 onion, roughly chopped (finely chop a small amount to be used for garnish)
• few coriander leaves, for garnish
How you make it…
1. Heat the oil to a medium heat in a pan. Add the liver and cook until all the pieces have turne a grey colour (about 3 minutes).
2. Add the pepper, salt, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and cumin, mix well and cover. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the tomato purée, chillies and onion and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered. Taste a small piece of the liver. If it still has an “iron” taste to it, continue cooking.
4. Once cooked, garnish with the chopped onion and coriander leaves and serve.