Serves 4 as a side dish
Crispy cheese, a creamy sauce and peas for colour and that ‘pop’ in the mouth, makes Muttar Paneer a favourite Indian side dish. The optional chilli can provide an extra kick and a splash of colour. For that extra special touch you can make your own paneer.
What you need…
• 2 Tablespoons ghee
• 400g paneer, cut into chunks about 2–3 cm square
• 0.5 teaspoons cumin seeds
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic (or garlic paste)
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger (or ginger paste)
• 120g Base Curry Sauce
• 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
• 0.5 teaspoon salt
• small handful coriander leaves, chopped
• 200g peas (frozen are good)
• 100ml double cream
• 0.5 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 0.5 tsp coriander powder
How to make it…
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon ghee in pan to a medium heat. Add the paneer cubes and fry until they brown on all sides. This should take about 3–4 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the rest of the ghee and heat to high heat. While it is heating up mix the Spice Mix with enough water to form a sloppy paste.
3. Add the cumin seeds and fry for 15 seconds. They should sizzle immediately. You can test the ghee is hot enough by adding one seed.
4. Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for 1 minute on a lower heat. You may have to remove the pan from the heat initially to stop the paste burning. (If it burns then throw away and start again.)
5. Add the Spice Mix paste and cook for 2 minutes. It should now be thick and gloopy.
6. Add the Base Curry Sauce, (optional) chilli and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the paneer and coriander and cook until all the pieces are all well-coated. This should take 1–2 minutes.
8. Add the peas, mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
9. Add the cream and cook until everything is heated through.
If you like this you should try our…My grandad wasn’t happy when I ordered him Muttar Paneer… But then he’s always grump-pea.
How to make Paneer • Sag Paneer • Sag Mushrooms • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza