Serves 4 as a main dish
The Vindaloo is for curry lovers who are after some serious heat. Originally a pork and vinegar dish from Goa, restaurants took the name to represent a super spicy curry, so for a coastal state, what better replacement than briny prawns? The restaurant-style Vindaloo has heat from the peppercorns and chilli, sourness from the vinegar and includes it’s trademark chunks of potato.
What you need…
• 1 large potato, cut into 5cm chunks (you should have 6-8 of them)
• small knob of butter
• 800g prawns, shelled and deveined
• 2 Tablespoons ghee
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 600ml Base Curry Sauce
• 2 Tablespoons tomato ketchup
• 1 Tablespoons garam masala
• salt to taste
• 0.5 onion sliced
• 1 Tablespoon vinegar
Spice Mix 1
• 1 Tablespoon curry powder
• 4 teaspoons chilli powder
• 1 teaspoons turmeric powder
• 1 teaspoon vinegar
Spice Mix 2
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1 teaspoon peppercorns
• 0.5 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
How to make it…
1. Boil the potato chunks until cooked. While the water is boiling mix the Spice Mix 1 with 1 Tablespoon vinegar and enough water to form a sloppy paste. Set the potatoes aside once cooked.
2. Heat the butter to a medium heat. Add the prawns to the butter and stir fry until they are pink. This should take about 2 minutes. Remove the prawns from the pan and set aside.
3. Heat the ghee to a high heat. Add the Spice Mix 2 and fry for 15 seconds. The spices should sizzle immediately when you add them to the ghee. You can test it is hot enough by adding one cumin seed.
4. Add the garlic paste and cook for 1 minute on a lower heat. You may have to remove the pan from the heat for a while to the paste burning. (If it burns then throw it away and start again.)
5. Add the Spice Mix 2 paste and cook for two minutes. It should now be thick and gloopy.
6. Add the Base Curry Sauce and tomato ketchup and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the garam masala, salt, mix well, and cook for 3 minutes.
8. Add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onion and the Tablespoon of vinegar and continue cooking until the prawns are fully cooked.
9. Finally, add the cooked potato pieces, mix in well and serve.
If you like this you should try our…
Lamb Vindaloo • Chicken Phall • Prawn Rogan • Prawn Dopiaza • Medium Prawn Curry • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Tikka Masala
Check out 5 Best Goa CurriesWhy did the prawn leave the bar early? … Because he pulled a muscle.