Serves 4 as a main dish
Chicken Kolhapuri is a rich, hot dish is from the city of Kolhapur in Maharashtra but is popular all over India, especially in the south west. The chicken is marinated, then a masala mix created. These are then added to sauce of onions and tomatoes to create this extremely tasty curry.
What you need…
• 800g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 3 Tablespoons oil
• 600ml Base Curry Sauce
• 2 teaspoons chilli powder
• 0.5 teaspoon turmeric
• 4 green chillies (2 chopped and two sliced for garnish)
• A few coriander leaves to garnish (optional)
• 6 Tablespoons yoghurt
• 2 teaspoons garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 1.5 teaspoons chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
• 15 curry leaves
• 4 peppercorns
• 2 cloves
• 2 cardamons, cracked
• 2 star anise
• 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1 teaspoon crushed red chillies
• 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
• 2 Tablespoons desiccated
How to make it…
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients and add the chicken. Make sure all the pieces are coated and set aside for 2 hours.
2. Dry fry all the masala ingredients in a pan until they release their aromas (about 2 minutes). Grind them into a powder and set aside.
3. Heat the oil to a medium heat, add the Base Curry Sauce and cook through for 5 minutes.
4. Add the chilli powder, the 2 chopped green chillies, tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the masala, mix well and cook for 5 minutes, adding a little water as needed.
6. Add the chicken and marinade, stir well, cover and cook until all the chicken is cooked through (about 10–15 minutes).
7. Garnish with the sliced chillies and/or (optional) coriander leaves and serve.
If you like this you should try our…Heat lovers will be flying high with this super spicy chicken dish.
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza