Serves 4 as a side dish
Although not the first ingredient that springs to mind when making, cabbage works well with spices. This dryish Cabbage Curry, slow-cooked with potatoes, is a recipe from Mauritius. It makes an excellent side dish.
What you need…
• 1 Tablespoon oil
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 2 teaspoon curry powder
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 0.5 teaspoon coriander powder
• 0.5 cabbage, shredded
• 1 large potato, peeled and chopped into chunks of about 3–4cm in size
• 100ml water
• Salt to taste
• 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
• A few coriander leaves, torn, to garnish
How you make it…
1. Heat the oil to a medium-hot heat and fry the garlic and ginger pastes for 1 minute.
2. Add the curry powder, chilli flakes and coriander powder and fry for 3 minutes. Add a tiny splash of water if need to avoid it sticking.
3. Add the cabbage and fry for a few moments then add the water and potato. Cook, covered, for 35 minutes.
4. Add the salt and tomato paste, mix well, and cook covered until the water has all evaporated and the potato is soft (about 5-10 minutes).
5. Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve.