Serves 6-8 as a main dish
This Chicken Wings Curry is great for a large family or gathering of friends. Lots of chicken, lots of butter and lots of chilli; fill up the pot and let everyone tuck into this rustic Punjabi home-style curry.
What you need…
• 125g butter
• 20 green chillies, chopped
• 6 medium-sized onions, roughly chopped
• 8–10cm piece of ginger, roughly chopped
• 2 whole garlic bulbs with cloves, roughly chopped
• 800g chopped tomatoes
• 1.5 teaspoon salt
• 0.5 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 2kg skinless chicken wings
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1.5 teaspoon garam masala
• large bunch coriander, chopped
How you make it…
1. Heat butter in a pan to a medium heat. Add chillies, onions, ginger and garlic, and cook until onions are golden brown.
2. Turn down the heat and add tomatoes, salt, turmeric, cumin seeds. Cook until the butter starts to rise to the edge of the sauce.
3. Add the chicken wings. Cook on low heat until the water comes out from the meat. Then raise heat for 5–8 mins to dry out the water.
4. Add the water, the garam masala and coriander and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for another 15 minutes. The butter will rise to the surface.
• Recipe courtesy Desi Indian, Greenwich Market