Serves 4 as a main dish
For such a small state Goa certainly has some great dishes and Chicken Recheade is another one of those. As much a pickling paste as a curry it is made by combining red dried chillies, black pepper, garlic, ginger, and spices with vinegar to form a paste that is used to marinate the chicken then cooked with chopped onions, tomato paste and garam masala. As with many Goan dishes it combines Indian and Portuguese styles of cooking and ingredients.
What you need…
• 800g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 4 Tablespoons oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin powder
• 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 Tablespoon tamarind paste
• 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
• Salt to taste
• 15 dried red chillies
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 cloves
• 2 teaspoons garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 4 Tablespoons vinegar
How to make it…
1. Dry fry the first 4 ingredients of the marinade in a pan until they release their aromas (about 2 minutes). Grind them to a powder.
2. Add the rest of the marinade ingredients to the ground whole spice powder, mix well and rub into the chicken. Set aside for 1 hour.
3. Heat the oil in a pan to a medium heat and fry the onions until they soften (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the turmeric powder, cumin powder, mix well, then add the chicken with the marinade. Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the tomato paste, tamarind paste, brown sugar, mix well and cook for 5 minutes. Add a little water if needed.
6. Add the garam masala and salt and continue cooking until all the chicken piece are cooked.
If you like this you should try our…
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza
Check out 5 Best Goa CurriesWhy did the chicken cross the road in India… to Goa to the other side.