Serves 4 as a main dish
Pakistani Fish Curry, also called Sindhi Fish Curry, is made by marinating pieces of white fish in yoghurt with garlic and spices. Whole spices are then fried, then onion, tomato and chillies added before the fish pieces are cooked. The dish is a popular winter dish and is traditionally cooked using pomfret, but you can use any firm, white fish.
What you need…
• 2 Tablespoons oil
• 700g firm white fish, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1.5 medium onions, finely chopped
• 4 chillies, chopped
• coriander leaves, for garnish
For the marinade
• 100g yoghurt
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 0.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 0.5 teaspoon coriander powder
• 0.5 teaspoon chilli powder
• 0.5 teaspoon salt
How to make it…
1. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and mix together. Add the fish pieces and leave for 1 hour.
2. Heat the oil to a high heat and fry the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeks for 15 seconds. The seeds should sizzle immediately (you can test the oil is hot enough by trying a cumin seeds).
3. Turn down the heat, add the onion and cook until it has softened (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the chillies and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the fish with all the marinade and cook gently until the pieces are all cooked through. Be careful when stirring so you do not break up the fish pieces.
6. Sprinkle a few coriander leaves on top of the dish and serve.
If you like this you should try our…Two fish are in a tank going round and round. “Hey,” says one fish. “Can’t you drive this straight?”
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza