Serves 4 as a main dish
This dish has very little to do with China but everything to do with curries created by Chinese takeaways. In the UK these were initially run by people from Hong Kong serving Cantonese dishes adapted to local tastes. The curry uses the basic Chinese/Chip Shop Curry Sauce and adds chicken and lots of onion. Some takeaways also add other ingredients such as carrot, peas or potato slices.
What you need…
• 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon freshly chopped ginger
• 1 teaspoon freshly chopped garlic
• 800g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 recipe Chinese/Chip Shop Curry Sauce
• 2 onions, sliced
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
How to make it…
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan to a medium heat, add the garlic paste and ginger paste, and fry for 1 minute.
2. Add the chicken and fry until all the pieces are sealed (about 2 minutes).
3. Add the Chinese/Chip Shop Curry Sauce and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add the onion and soy sauce, mix well and fry until all the chicken pieces are cooked (about 2–3 minutes).
If you like this you should try our…I rang my local takeaway last night and asked: “Do you deliver?”… “No,” they replied. “But we do chicken, lamb and prawn.”
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza