Serves 4 as a main dish
Lagan Ka Murgh is a Hyderabadi dish and drawing on it’s royal history is rich in ingredients and flavour. Pieces of chicken are marinated in yoghurt, garlic, ginger and spices and then added to pastes of onion and toasted almonds.
What you need…
• 800g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• water as required
• 50g sliced almonds, toasted
• 4 Tablespoons ghee
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon tomato purée
• 150g plain yoghurt
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 1 green chilli, finely chopped
• 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
• 0.5 teaspoon salt
• 0.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 0.5 coriander powder
• 0.5 chilli powder
How to make it…
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients, add the chicken and leave for 4 hours.
2. Heat the ghee in a pan to a medium heat and cook the onions until they brown. Remove and blend to a paste, using water as required.
3. Add the toasted almonds to the blender to create a smooth onion and almond paste. Set aside.
4. Reheat the remaining ghee in the pan the onions were cooked in. Add the bay leaves and fry for 15 seconds.
5. Add the chicken and all the marinade to the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Add the fried onion and almond paste, the tomato paste and cook with a sealed lid until the chicken is fully cooked (about 10–12 minutes).
7. Leave the dish to rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
If you like this you should try our…Why is this dish healthy? … Because it’s a fitness nut.
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza