Serves 4 as a side dish
This Chilli Cabbage and Potato Fry is a simple dish, using just chilli flakes to give it a kick. Cabbage is often overlooked but it makes a great accompaniment to spicy dishes. This is a Mauritian version of a popular Gujerati dish.
What you need…
• 3 Tablespoons oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1.5 chilli flakes
• 2 medium-size potato cut into small 1cm chunks
• half a cabbage, shredded
• 100ml water (about half a cup)
• 1 tomato, finely chopped
• salt, to taste
How to make it…
1. Heat the oil to a medium heat and fry the onion for 4 minutes.
2. Add half the chilli flakes and potato and stir fry until the potato chunks are starting to brown (about 3 minutes).
3. Add the cabbage and the water, cover the pan, and cook until the cabbage is soft (about 10 minutes).
4. Add the tomato and salt, mix well, and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Serve, with the rest of the chilli flakes sprinkled on the top.
If you like this you should try our…How do you know when a cabbage is wanted by the police? … Because it has a price on its head.
Sag Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Butter Chicken • Butter Paneer • Prawn Korma • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Chicken Dopiaza