Serves 4 as a side dish
Sag Paneer is an excellent side dish, with the crispiness of the pre-fried cheese – especially if you make your own paneer – beautifully complemented by with the wilted, bright green spinach leaves. The addition of the red chilli can add a nice kick as well as a lovely splash of colour.
What you need…
• 2 Tablespoons ghee
• 200g paneer, cut into chunks about 2-3 cm square
• 0.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 2 teaspoons garlic paste
• 1 teaspoons ginger paste
• 200g Base Curry Sauce
• 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
• 0.5 teaspoon salt
• small handful coriander leaves, chopped
• 200g spinach (fresh or frozen), chopped
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 teaspoon coriander powder
How to make it…
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon ghee in pan to a medium heat. Add the paneer cubes and fry until they brown. This should take about 3–4 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the rest of the ghee and heat to high heat. While it is heating up mix the Spice Mix with enough water to form a sloppy paste.
3. Add the cumin seeds and fry for 15 seconds. They should sizzle immediately. You can test the ghee is hot enough by adding one seed.
4. Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for 1 minute on a lower heat. You may have to remove the pan from the heat initially to stop the paste burning. (If it burns then throw away and start again.)
5, Add the Spice Mix paste and cook for 2 minutes. It should now be thick and gloopy.
6. Add the Base Curry Sauce, (optional) chilli and salt and cook for 2 minute.
7. Add the paneer and coriander and cook until all the pieces are all well-coated. This should take 1–2 minutes.
8. Add the spinach and cook until all the moisture has evaporated and the spinach has wilted. This will take about 5 minutes.
If you like this you should try our…The waiter in our local restaurant is always asking questions about my orders… It’s like the Spinach Inquisition.
How to make Paneer • Butter Paneer • Muttar Paneer • Chilli Paneer • Prawn Madras • Prawn Rogan • Prawn Vindaloo • Medium Chicken Curry • Chicken Madras • Chicken Vindaloo • Chicken Bhoona • Butter Chicken • Chicken Dopiaza